RE: How many states on each end?

Sorry for the belated reply.  I'm going through back email.  Just to be
clear, my main point was that I'm unconvinced that trying to explicitly
model the asynchrony of streaming in separate states is a win.  If we have
state machines, I'm tempted to have them just describe the simple
non-streaming case, with sender and receiver machines separate in the case
where we're describing R/R or something similar.  We can then say in
prose:  note that either the outbound or inbound logic can stream, so the
receiver of a message may begin processing while the sender is still
sending.  Similarly (for R/R and R/OR), a responder may begin to send its
response while still reading and processing the tail of its input.  Note,
however, that certain SOAP faults cannot be reliably detected until some
or all of the input message is received.  I think we need to keep the
existing warnings that to avoid deadlock, particularly in such streaming
scenarios, receivers must make forward progress in consuming inbound
messages, and in particular when streaming a requestor cannot in all cases
defer receipt of a response until all of a (potentially long) request is
sent.  I believe that last subtlety is correctly covered in the Req.

Anyway, to summarize my main points:

* Probably:  get the streaming logic out of the state machines, thus
greatly simplifying them
* Maybe: for some or all of the new MEPs, drop the state machines.

More for reasons of minimizing change to stable Recs than because I love
the existing state machines, I would not substantially change the state
machines for R/R or Resp-only in conjunction with adding 202 support.  I
can almost certainly live without a formal state machine for one-way, if
that's the group's preference.  Thanks.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation