Re: Possible defect in XOP and MTOM

Besides the statements you quote, the Introduction says;

> Only element content can be optimized; attributes, non-base64-
> compatible character data, and data not in the canonical
> representation of the base64Binary datatype cannot be successfully
> optimized by XOP.
While it's true that it doesn't say "XOP cannot optimise element
children," I think that's covered by "data not in the canonical
representation of the base64Binary datatype," which *is* limited to
just character data (because we reference Schema datatypes).

That said, it might be helpful to add a clarification in errata, if
the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,

On 25/08/2005, at 2:20 PM, Alessandro Triglia wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am reading www.w3.org/TR/xop10/ and it seems to me that something
> is missing in the following clause:
>

> -----------------------------------
> 3.1 Creating XOP Packages
>
> To create a XOP Package from an Original XML Infoset:
>
> [...]
>
> Identify within the Original XML Infoset the element information
> items to be optimized. To be optimized, the characters comprising
> the [children] of the element information item MUST be in the
> canonical form of xs:base64Binary (see [XML Schema Part 2:
> Datatypes Second Edition]3.2.16 base64Binary) and MUST NOT contain
> any whitespace characters, preceding, inline with or following the
> non-whitespace content.
>
> [...]
> -----------------------------------
>

> I would assume that the first condition to be imposed is that the
> [children] of the element information item be all character
> information items.  For example, comment IIs and processing
> instruction IIs present among the [children] -- in any position --
> should prevent the "optimization", as do the character IIs that are
> whitespace.
>
> (That an element II present among the [children] should also
> prevent the optimization is even more obvious.)
>
> Perhaps this condition is kind-of implied by the use of the term
> "comprising" (instead of "among", say), but I think the condition
> should be stated more explicitly.
>
> A similar problem exists in MTOM (clause 2.3.1).
>
> Regards,
>
> Alessandro Triglia
> OSS Nokalva, Inc.

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems