Re: request for clarification of SOAP/HTTP binding in SOAP 1.2

Hi Sanjiva,

Please note that this is *not* an official response from the XMLP WG.

My interpretation is that the SOAP response has to be sent on the same
connection (in the HTTP response entity body). See section 7.5.2.2 of
SOAP 1.2 part 2. Table 19 makes it clear that the HTTP entity body of
the HTTP Response must contain the SOAP message and the status line is
either 200 or as described by table 20.

Sections 7.5.1.2, 7.5.1.3 and 7.5.1.4 also support this. From section
7.5.1.2:

In cases where "Fail" is one of the choices, the transition is dependent
on whether a SOAP message is present in the HTTP response. If a SOAP
message is present, the next state is "Sending+Receiving" or Receiving",
otherwise the next state is "Fail".

 From section 7.5.1.3:

The response message is assumed to contain a SOAP envelope serialized
according to the rules for carrying SOAP messages in the media type
given in the Content-Type header field.

 From section 7.5.1.4:

The response message is assumed to contain a SOAP envelope serialized
according to the rules for carrying SOAP messages in the media type
given in the Content-Type header field.

HTH.

-Anish