Re: Propsed new issue: variability of encoding in Miffy

Amelia A Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:21:53 -0800
> Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>>Mark Nottingham wrote:

>>>binary> ( and 8-bit? ) no encoding/decoding occurs at the MIME level.
>>>For 7-bit.> base64 and quoted-printable encoding/decoding happens at
>>>the MIME layer.> In all cases the octets at the layer above MIME are
>>>the same.>

>>>In broad brushstrokes, yes.
>>
>>Not quite, there isn't any encoding/decoding that occurs for 7-bit.
>>The content-transfer-encoding is just a declaration that the data is
>>7-bit clean.
>

> Also, for 7bit and 8bit (and as part of the encoding for
> quoted-printable and the MIME version of base64), the line termination
> is specified to be CRLF, but processors are expected to be forgiving,
> and lines may be padded with extra spaces, which may also be freely
> removed.

Is this stated in RFC 2045? Or does this occur in some other spec?
I could not locate this in RFC 2045. But I could have missed it.

If processors are indeed allowed to pad lines with extra spaces, then I
would have to agree with Noah that we must not allow 7-bit and 8-bit
value for cte field.

Thanks!

-Anish