Re: Propsed new issue: variability of encoding in Miffy

Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Let's keep in mind that usually (at least in optimized SOAP
> implementations) if binary was used, nothing would be encoded in base64.
> So we wouldn't be recoding into base64 something which was already
> base64 encoded.
>
> I still wonder if MIFFY would be used in environments which are not
> 8-bit safe. I first suggested that we mandate binary, and somebody
> replied that such packages couldn't be transmitted over email. True, but
> if it's the binding that chooses to use MIFFY, why couldn't email
> binding just choose to base64-encode the binary data into the XML?
>
> Or is there a value of having the big binary data outside the envelope
> even if it's not optimized in size? Is that where MIFFY should be used?

There certainly are cases where the total size of the message is not
issue, but the size of the optimized MIFFY Infoset is. For example,
consider an intermediary processing a message which has a header
(targeted toward the ultimate destination) containing a large chunk of
binary data.