Re: Proposed text for issues rec20 and rec22 in XOP/MTOM

This looks fine, thank you.

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036
--------------------------------------

"Herve Ruellan" <herve.ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
04/28/04 08:40 AM

        To:     noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
        cc:     XMLP Dist App <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
        Subject:        Re: Proposed text for issues rec20 and rec22 in XOP/MTOM

Noah,

See my responses below.

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Herve, I think this is an excellent start.  Some specific comments:
>
> ---------
> Section 2.1:
>
> <proposed>
> The root MIME part is the root part of the package, and MUST be a
> serialization of the XOP Infoset using any W3C recommendation-level
> version of XML (e.g., [XML 1.0] or [XML 1.1]), as defined below, and
MUST
> be identified with the [ TBD ] media type.
> ..
> </proposed>
>
> This implies there is one media type for all possible XML versions.  I
> suspect that's not a decision we've yet made, and it may not be the way
we
> want to go.  Is it not possible that different media types will be used
> for different XML versions?

I forgot to update this proposal with the resolution of 447. I think the
updated proposal should be along the lines:

<proposed version="1.1">
The root MIME part is the root part of the package, and MUST be a
serialization of the XOP Infoset using any W3C recommendation-level
version of XML (e.g., [XML 1.0] or [XML 1.1]), as defined below. This
root MIME part MUST be identified with a media type that is specific to
the XOP encoding of the Original XML Infoset's media type, as described
in 5. Identifying XOP Documents. This media type MAY specify which
version of XML was used for the serialization of the XOP Infoset.

..
</proposed>

> ---------
> Section 4.2
>
> <proposed>
> 1. Parse the root part of the package as an XML document, according to
the
> specification of any W3C recommendation-level version of XML (e.g., [XML

> 1.0] or [XML 1.1]), to construct an XML Infoset (see [XML InfoSet]).
> ..
> </proposed>
>
> <proposed revision="noah">
> 1. Construct an infoset by parsing the root part of the package as an
XML
> document.  The document MUST be parsed according to the level of the XML

> Recommendation identified by the XML declaration of that document; if no

> XML declaration is present, then the document MUST be parsed per {ref to

> the XML 1.0 recommendation)}.
> ..
> </proposed>

+1 : it's good to specify a default XML version.

Hervé.