Re: Media-typing binary data in XML (restart)

At 02:03 PM 10/30/2003 +0100, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
><snip>  Below
>is a first-cut list of requirements that I gathered from what I think
>Representation header will need:
>
>      1. It must be possible to indicate unambiguously the media type of
>         a piece of binary data that's present as base64-encoded
>         character content of an element information item.

How about
       1. It must be possible to indicate unambiguously the media type of
         a piece of binary data bound into a message with XML.
Two issues here are 1) not to bias the requirement with an (inferior) encoding
solution, and 2) insure that the media type marking pertains to an instance
of a representation.

>      2. It must be possible to indicate in XML Schema what media type
>         the character content of an element ii will have.

How about:
     2. It must be possible to indicate in XML Schema what set of  media types
         an element  may reference. (see the HTTP Accept header (RFC 2616)).
Two issues here are 1) not to bias the requirement with the idea that
media types must have character representations and 2) insure that the
media types in Schema are abstract ("types...may") not concrete
("type...will").

>      3. It should be possible to specify a set of such media types, see
>         the HTTP Accept header (RFC 2616).

How about:
       3. <redundant now>

John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100