Re: Rewording of "redundant binary objects" use case

Herve Ruellan wrote:
> As per my Action Item from 2003/10/15 telcon, here is a rewording of the
> streaming use case with redundant binary objects.
>
> <UseCase>
> An application wishes to send a SOAP message that contains one or more
> redundant binary pieces of data. Each redundant binary piece of data is
> actually contained in several locations of the SOAP message (for
> example, the SOAP message could contains an SVG document describing a
> multipage document, each page of the document containing the PNG logo of
> the company which authored the document). For design reasons, this data
> cannot be referenced externally, but must be transported with the
> message. Doing so by replicating each redundant binary piece of data as
> many times as it is contained in the SOAP message involves an
> unacceptable message size, due to bandwidth, latency and/or storage
> requirements.
> </UseCase>

I agree with the use case being interesting in general, but I'd like to point
out that your example with SVG is unrealistic. SVG has ways to reference content
so that it would be a be silly (and in truth unlikely) that one will ever author
a document in which you would copy an image several times: you put it in a
<defs> section, and reference it.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Scientist, Expway      http://expway.com/