Re: Proposed resolution for issue 440

Gudge,

We have already accepted use case UC6 [2]. It seems to me that this
requires that we allow multiple references to the same attachment.

You have suggested that Representation header can be used for this
purpose. I don't see how this will work (possibly because of not
understanding exactly what you meant).

For example, I may have the following XML fragment to be send inside a
SOAP env:

<foo>
   <bindata1>...</bindata>
   <bindata2>...</bindata2>
<foo>

Both bindata1 and bindata2 have the exact same binary content.
I can include the data in the MIME part with content-id
"1234@example.org" and send the following (along with the right MIME parts):

<foo>
   <bindata1>
     <xbinc:Include href="cid:1234@example.org"/>
   </bindata1>
   <bindata2>
     <xbinc:Include href="cid:1234@example.org"/>
   </bindata2>

If I am not allowed to do this, then the binary data has to be
replicated in two MIME parts (defeats the purpose of optimization).

I don't quite see how Representation header fits the bill. To use the
Representation header, I have to change the original infoset that I
wanted to send (by inventing a application specific mechanism of
referring to the URI whose content is carried by the Representation
header) -- which means it is no longer just optimization.

For example I can do the following:

<foo>
   <bindata1 myhref="http://example.com/bindata"/>
   <bindata2 myhref="http://example.com/bindata"/>
</foo>

where, "http://example.com/bindata" is the value of the "URI" attribute
on the Representation header element.

Did I correctly infer what you were trying to say about how
Representation header can be used? If so, I don't think it fits the
bill. If not, can you please explain what you meant.

Thx.

-Anish
--

[2] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/3/10/wd/soap-os-ucr.html