Re: Re: new version of requirements following ARTF telcon of 2003-01-15

At 10:03 PM 1/20/2003 -0500, Mark Jones wrote:

> > DR13. The specification must provide support for large parts.
>
>And small ones as well one would imagine. How large? Arbitrarily
>large? Just "pretty big", really, really large" or "incomprehensibly
>large"? :)
>
>What about parts who's size is not known at the time that
>the serialization is begun?
>
><mark>These points have been discussed briefly.  This one needs more
>work. </mark>

The reason for this kind of requirement is the dominant impact of I/O
and memory allocation on performance.  For small messages, all
attachment scheme will be equal since CPUs are infinitely fast.
"Large" of course changes over time as hardware resources improve.
Design for messages between 1MB and 1GB.  5 years from now, when
this standard is in use, allocators can bite off 1MB but 1GB will likely
still call for disk.  You can shift these numbers around, but they will
factor into the design: might as well discuss them explicitly.

In my opinion, parts whose size is not known should not be "attached"
to SOAP messages.  Rather one should use messages to set up an
out of band stream mechanism.

John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100