From: Rand Anderson [mailto:randerson@macgregor.ws]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 7:24 PM
To: 'Anne Thomas Manes'
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: RE: concatenating web services

Actually, I think this is one of the more interesting applications of
WS-Routing (i.e., enriching the message along the way). You just need to
change your mindset a bit. Instead of thinking of ws1 and ws2 as two
ultimate receivers, think of ws1 as an intermediate receiver, and ws2 as
the
single ultimate receiver.

Of course, each node needs to be ws-routing compliant (may pose a
problem at
this point in time if you're talking about working with services outside
of
your control). But this will become very powerful if a pipeline process
makes sense for you. There are other advantages to this approach as well
(the most powerful probably being the ability to change the routing
dynamically).

As you say, choreography is indeed another approach, but it solves this
not
by any kind of piping pattern, but rather with a centralized
orchestration.
If this approach makes sense for you, you should also take a look at
BPEL4WS
[1].

There are numerous other pros/cons in comparing the two approaches; it's
not
fully clear from the original request what other
requirements/constraints
are involved.

HTH,
Rand