Re: Propsed new issue: variability of encoding in Miffy

[Discussion moved to xml-dist-app from xlmp-comments]

Noah,

Not sure what you meant by '... labeled as application/octet-stream ...'.

My understanding is that, we have agreed that the MIME parts may have
Content-Type other than application/octet-stream (although that is the
default). For example, I may want to indicate that the binary data being
sent is image/jpeg or text/plain.

Looking at RFC 2045, the default value for content-transfer-encoding is
"7-bit". If in our spec we are not going to allow variability for
content-transfer-encoding (for non-root parts), then we must require
that each MIME part that is referenced from the root part must have the
content-transfer-encoding MIME header with a value of 'binary' (least
restrictive).

This might be a problem for more restrictive transports that require
7-bit clean data (SMTP). Also, my understand of MIME is that it is very
"un-MIME"-like to restrict content-transfer-encoding. But, I am not a
MIME expert, so I will let the experts on the list comment on this.

I am not too worried about interop as there are only 5 well-known
content-transfer-encodings (7bit, 8bit, binary, quoted-printable,
base64) + the extensible X-myproprietary-encoding.

Thanks.

-Anish