Re: Streaming and Well-Formedness

Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

>So my question:  other than the usual provision that allows for rollback
>etc., do we in fact support any form of streaming when using the HTTP
>binding (or any other XML 1.0 serialization)?  Seems to me the rules above
>preclude it.   Once we start to do useful application processing, we can't
>send a fault, particularly if we have started to stream a response while
>the request is still coming in as signaled in [1].   Is this old news?  I
>guess I sort of knew it in the back of my mind all along, but this is the
>first time I've really thought through the implications.  Am I missing
>something? Thanks.

IMO, this is one of several evidences that choice of XML as the envelope
format is not ideal unless you reinvent things.   It works well for a
set of small tightly intertwined modules, but for large independent
ones, XML and tools do not fit the desired processing models, because
XML is not so good at isolation.

Ray Whitmer
rayw@netscape.com