Re: New AFTF draft.

On Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002, at 10:35 US/Eastern,
noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Right but this is at least potentially a case where the resource is
> traveling in the message.  There is no server for this resource at the
> moment.  Its URI typically based on, indeed perhaps explicitly relative
> to, a URI that identifies the message itself as the message travels
> through space.  There is no server.  Not all resources live on
> servers; we
> only know that they are accessible, or at least identified by URI, as
> these are.

I guess it depends on where you draw the line in deciding what
constitutes a server. For example, in the scenario you outlined in
response to my suggestion that the AF draft should define and require
support for at least one URI scheme for identifying attachments you
wrote:

> * Receiving application encounters URIs, probably initially in the
> envelope, but maybe in other parts as processing proceeds.  Possible
> implementation is that SOAP software (with knowledge of the binding)
> offers a service that returns the byte stream for the part when
> presented
> with a URI.
In that case the service above could be thought of as a server that
supports GET semantics. It could even provide support for content
negotiation if that was desired.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Sun Microsystems.