Re: Comments on SOAP 1.2 Attachment Feature

+1

Although, this does I think point out a peculiarity (IMO) in the current
spec:

        "Each part is identified by a URI that can be used to reference it
from other parts. The URI identifying
        a part can be of any URI scheme; the particular assignment of URIs
to parts in the message MUST be
        specified by each SOAP binding implementing this feature. It is
RECOMMENDED that only IANA
        registered URI schemes be used."

I suppose that this could be interpreted in a couple of ways:
        1) that the binding layer assigns the URIs for its purpose that
can be mapped to the URIs that identify the
        parts in the compound SOAP structure such that the infoset
representing the compound SOAP
        structure can be faithfully transferred from sending node to
receiving node.
        2) that the application assigns the URIs based on some knowledge
of the scheme(s) supported
        by the binding.

My preference would be for 1. As such, it seems to me that this should be
clearly called out.
e.g.
        Each part is identified by a URI that can be used to reference it
from other parts. The
        URI identifying a part can be of any URI scheme. Each SOAP binding
implementing this feature
        MUST provide the means by which the URI identifying a given part
of a compound SOAP structure
        can be transferred from sending to receiving node such that the
URI identifying a part at the
        sending node is identical to the URI identifying the part at the
receiving node. It is RECOMMENDED
        that only IANA registered URI schemes be used.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

xml-dist-app-request@w3.org wrote on 09/10/2002 10:15:55 AM:

> Marc,
>
> Marc Hadley wrote:
> > On the editorial front I would like to recommend redressing the
balance
> > between MIME and DIME by adding a reference to the SOAP with
Attachments