Re: Proposal for issue 277 - part 2

On Monday, Oct 14, 2002, at 11:03 US/Eastern, Herve Ruellan wrote:

> Proposal
> --------
> Here is a proposal for dealing with all those namespaces. This
> proposal was cut into pieces to allow a finer grained decision > process.
>
> (i) Keep http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope namespace

Yes.

> (ii) Merge http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-faults namespace and
> http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-upgrade namespace into
> http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope namespace.
> <rationale>
> This remove two namespaces. Both are used in the main part of the SOAP
> 1.2 specification and are tightly linked with the processing of SOAP
> messages.
> </rationale>

+1.

> (iii) Keep http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-encoding namespace.
> <rationale>
> This namespace is used for defining aii in an independant part of the
> spec.
> </rationale>

Yes.

> (iv) Keep http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-rpc namespace.
> <rationale>
> This namespace is used for defining an eii in an independant part of
> the spec.
> </rationale>

Yes.

> (v) Remove http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap/mep/ namespace and
> http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap/mep/FailureReasons/ namespace.
> <rationale>
> They are not used anymore.
> </rationale>

They aren't used as XML namespaces as such, but they are used as
absolute URIs within the spec and, rightly or wrongly, we use a
notation of absolute:relative (just like prefix:localname) when
referring to properties. I think we need something like this otherwise
the spec will just be full of long URIs that will reduce readability.

> (vi) Define properties using URIs and not QNames (see first part of
> proposal), and remove
> http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap/bindingFramework/ExchangeContext/
> namespace, http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap/mep/request-response/
> namespace and http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap/features/web-method/
> namespace which are only used for defining properties.
> <rationale>
> It seems better to identify properties with URIs than with QNames.
> </rationale>

Same comment as above.

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Sun Microsystems.