Re: array encoding in SOAP

 Murali,
 I've CCed the dist-app list for I think many can be interested
in this.
 In SOAP Encoding on-the-wire format, we don't identify the type
of a node - whether it is a compound or a terminal, and whether a
compound is a struct, array or generic.
 It is true that a terminal with an empty content is
indistinguishable from an empty struct or array. It is also true
that a struct can be viewed as an array anytime.
 I believe this is not a problem because the (de)serialization
code usually follows some kind of a schema telling it which nodes
are of what type as listed above - for example an XML Schema
schema in a WSDL file, or the structure of the actual data types
in the implementation.
 I don't have a sound technical reason for my belief, it's just
that this never seemed a problem before. On the other hand, had
we designed SOAP Encoding from the scratch, we might have decided
to make the XML instances fully self-describing.
 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/