Re: fault/detail

At 11:41 AM +0100 7/23/02, Martin Gudgin wrote:
>Noah,
>
>I would agree this issue is only worth fixing if we are delayed for other
>reasons.
>
>I would note however that I would vote for making children of Detail
>qualified rather than allowing children of Header and Body to be
>unqualified.

I would agree with making the children of Detail qualified, and I do
think it is significant enough to justify going back to working
draft. The existing format is just plain weird. It is significantly
confusing to users, especially those who aren't up on every last
detail of W3C language law. It makes it hard to write applications
that do simple things like find or filter or dispatch all the SOAP
elements in a document, since, unlike most other XML applications,
this cannot be done based on namespace URI alone.

As somebody who has to teach this stuff, this is one of the
uglinesses I point out and say, "Yes, I know this makes no sense and
is inconsistent and confusing. Unfortunately that's the way it is."
Please, please fix this now.