RE: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 14:33, Mike Dierken wrote:
> > > I disagree about URIs implying a pull model and synchronous
> > > interactions. The mailto:mike@dataconcert.com URI isn't pull and it
> > > isn't synchronous.
> >
> > Hmm.  Yes.  I'm wrong.  But that's an awfully interesting URI.
> >
> > It isn't GETtable.  It's non-idempotent.
>
> GET mailto:mike@dataconcert.com HTTP/1.1
> Host: magic.httpserver.net
> Authentication: BASIC YA4H8G==
> Accept: text/xml; message/rfc822; text/plain

Sorry to be stupid, but does this do anything useful?

By its nature, as far as I can parse it, a mailto URL is going to
indicate a state-changing, non-idempotent action, and thus isn't
appropriate for a GET.  For that matter, I don't quite understand how
one would 'get' a mailto ....  But you've produced an example, what does
it mean?

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis