RE: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

Hi Jacek,

Well Jacek... I think that you've put your finger on the heart of the
problem, although I don't think that your proposed solution 'satisfies' me.

> Say explicitly that the HTTP binding requires the WebMethod
> feature to be used.

My expectation of the features/property based Binding framework has always
been as you state:

>  I agree with Stuart though that once we call something a
> feature, it's not mandatory, it MAY be used to gain something. A
> binding provides features, it doesn't (so far, AFAIK) require the
> use of them.

My complaint (if that's what it is) is that in the case of the HTTP binding
that we present in our spec, based on the description that we give, a
binding user cannot make successful use of the SOAP-Response and
Request-Response MEP without also understanding the Web Method feature. This
amounts to it cannot use the HTTP binding based on knowledge of the
supported features it does understand, without knowing that its using the
HTTP binding... which IMO destroys the whole point of having the framework
(which is why I feel quite so passionately about this one).

That said, I also agree with Noah on the pragmatics of this [1], in that the
change I have requested [2] will make no practial difference to any
implementations, only on the way we describe it - which is why I would
readily regard it as an editorial change.

Regards,

Stuart
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Jul/0034.html
(third bullet).