Re: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

Mark Baker wrote:

>>All good questions. I don't think the MEP and web method feature (as
>>currently formulated) are particularly orthogonal. I wonder if a better
>>formulation might be to add an optional "safe" feature instead of the
>>existing web method feature such that the HTTP binding will use GET only
>>when the MEP is response and the "safe" feature is set ?
>
> While GET is safe, not all safe methods are GET.  For example, HEAD is
> safe.

Indeed, but as our binding doesn't offer support for use of HEAD I saw
little point in mentioning it.

> I have to admit to being confused by the suggestions to derive the
> method.  Why is that desirable?  A developer has to know what methods
> are being invoked.  How else can they get their job done?

I think this is an instance of the top-down vs bottom-up dichotomy. In
the top-down view the app/developer would choose a suitable MEP and the
binding would deal with the HTTP-specific stuff like choice of HTTP
method. I.e. the framework would offer a clean separation between the
application and the underlying protocol.

The suggestion of the "safe" feature was to allow an app to indicate
that the exchange was safe to give the binding the information it needs
to choose a suitable HTTP method. The problem with the current
formulation is that the web-method (not HTTP method) GET carries MEP
connotations as well as information as to the "safe"ness of the exchange.

Is that any clearer ?

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.