Re: SOAP & REST

Not deeply different, no. One _interesting_ difference is that the
first can have subresources of the operation, e.g.,

  http://numbers.com/divide/remainder?...

whereas the other approach would need a new argument

  http://numbers.com/?operation="divide"&suboperation="remainder"

(arithmetic is perhaps a poor example here)

As a subresource, we know that there's a certain relationship between
the two resources; this is evident in such mechanisms as relative URIs.
If the operation is done with arguments, we lose this relationship.

Not earth-shattering, but it does give a means of composing
applications through the interrelation of resources that has some
nice properties.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/