Re: literal XML encoding?

Francis Norton wrote:

> We are using SOAP to communicate high-level XML structures between
> business partners. During development I was very surprised to discover
> that the only value for encodingStyle is the SOAP serialisation. I can
> find no clear standard for saying "the content of the body of this
> message is literal XML".

Use of the SOAP encoding is optional. If you wish to use your own
encoding within the body you may specify that using the encodingStyle
attribute with a value specific to your encoding, e.g.

<env:Envelope
    xmlns:env="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
    env:encodingStyle="http://www.mydomain.com/myencoding">

    <env:Body>
        <m:MyMessageBody xmlns:m="some URI">
        </m:MyMessageBody>
    </env:Body>
</env:Envelope>

The actual value of the encodingStyle attribute can be anything you wish
provided it is a URI. It might be a URL within your organisations
domain, e.g. in your case you might choose
http://www.redrice.com/literalxmlencoding or something along those
lines. The SOAP processor doesn't expect to find anything at this URL,
it is just used as a unique identifier for your encoding.

See section 4.1.1 of the SOAP/1.1 specification.

Hope this helps,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>