Re: An analysis of mustUnderstand and related issues

I also wondered about disjunction.  It seems like it might be a
coomon case that a pool of potential actors could carry out similar
functionality, but with slightly different parameters.  You might,
e.g., be required to do SASL-like authentication with some (only
one) actor, but different actors may support different mechanisms.

How about the following mechanism for disjunction, exactly-one-of
or other logical dependencies?

   <SOAP-ENV:Header ID="A"
       SOAP-ENV:Actor="uriA"
       SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="true"
       SOAP-ENV:markHappened="true">
     <nsa:DoThisForA xmlns:nsa="http://nsa.gov/uriA">
     </nsa:DoThisForA>
   </SOAP-ENV:Header>

   <SOAP-ENV:Header ID="B"
       SOAP-ENV:Actor="uriB"
       SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="true"
       SOAP-ENV:markHappened="true">
     <nsb:DoThisForB xmlns:nsb="http://nsb.gov/uriB">
     </nsb:DoThisForB>
   </SOAP-ENV:Header>

   <SOAP-ENV:Header ID="C"
       SOAP-ENV:Actor="uriLogic"
       SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="true"
       SOAP-ENV:mustHappen="true">
      <logic:Or xmlns:logic="http://logic.gov/logic">
         <logic:CheckHasHappened href="A"/>
         <logic:CheckHasHappened href="B"/>
      </logic:Or>
   </SOAP-ENV:Header>

Note the markHappened (not mustHappen) attribute to indicate that we
want a block marked hasHappened to be inserted after processing.
Neither headers A or B mustHappen but we want to know if either
hasHappened.  If you want another header "D" that depends on the
disjunction being satisfied, it can specify depndsOn="C".

You could have a standard "logic" module or it could be any sort of
extensible manifest.  I use the "uriLogic" Actor to match any
processor which implements the logic extension.  The important enabler
for this extensibility is getting either the processor or the modules
to insert a block to reflect the hasHappened condition.  Note that the
"C" block would have to reinsert itself at each uriLogic actor until
it was satisfied.

--mark