RE: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

The question here isn't whether SOAPAction is allowable within the HTTP spec
-- it is.  The argument is that SOAPAction is a duplication of information
that should appear in the URI and the Content-Type headers. As a result, the
SOAP spec _mandates_ its use.  The problem with it is that it unnecessarily
levies a requirement on the web infrastructure.  SOAP would work just as
well without it.  Frontier's implementation, per Jake Savin's excellent
posts, describe how SOAPAction is used instead of a URI for a SOAP
dispatcher.  That alone sort of defies the nature of the web where URIs are
supposed to identify resources.  In the Frontier model, a SOAP post to any
URI is resolved by the SOAPAction header for dispatching.  In this model,
the SOAPAction header could easily be replaced by a URI and a Content-Type
header with the same effect.  In this way, existing web servers could
process SOAP without being required to process a special HTTP header.  In
addition, the approach I suggest doesn't bleed information out of the SOAP
envelope into the transport, much like HTTP doesn't bleed into TCP.

jeffrey kay <jkay@engenia.com>
chief technology officer, engenia software, inc.
"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark
twain
"golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle"
-- sports illustrated
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is
work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein