Re: [i95, i22] - Proposal for clarifying use of SOAPAction

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> That would be bad as we then have no mechanism for identifying a SOAP
> HTTP request.

Do servers typically accept different types of requests/messages at
a given URI?

(Can someone enhance my understanding of how a SOAP server would
typically be set up?

I would think that a SOAP server would be set up at a given URL
(or that URL and "child" URLs) within an HTTP server.  Only SOAP
messages should be posted to that URL.  The SOAP server would handle
only two kinds of messages:  messages it recognized as valid SOAP
messages those that it did not recognize.

I don't see a need for such a SOAP server to differentiate SOAP
requests from any other valid requests.

So what am I not thinking of?

Is the differentiation for a not-just-SOAP dispatcher that receives
POST requests at some URI, and calls a SOAP handler for SOAP message
and other handlers for other messages?

Is the differentiation for the top-level HTTP server?  What would
it do differently based on whether a message was a SOAP message or
some other message type?

Is the differentiation for caches or firewalls or something similar?

Is the differentiation for something else?

Thanks.)

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay