Re: Finalised Glossary Definitions

	From mnot@akamai.com Wed Mar 21 12:00 EST 2001
	Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:00:14 -0800
	From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
	To: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
	Cc: Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>, skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com,
	        frystyk@microsoft.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
	Subject: Re: Finalised Glossary Definitions

	On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 03:44:54PM +0100, Jean-Jacques Moreau wrote:

	> > We've tended to ignore the constructive side, but there must be
	> > some API for the sender which takes a relatively high-level
	> > characterization of the required behavior and manufactures the
	> > appropriate blocks.  This API should be modular so that
	> > independent blocks can be inserted and targeted independently,
	> > while still permitting any necessary dependencies (e.g.,
	> > ordering).
	>
	> I can see Henrik frowning his eyes... :)  But yes, seriously, there
	> will need to be an API

	There will certainly need to be an API somewhere (perhaps even
	standardized), but I hope this isn't meant to imply that this work is
	in scope for this group.

I don't mean to imply that the API would be in scope, but that the
functionality that it implies at the XMLP layer has to be thought
about.

It also might shed some light on how our notion of module manifests
itself on the sender side.  We've tended to think about how a
processor finds a handler to process a block, and very little
about how a block gets generated in the first place.

--mark
Mark Jones
AT&T Labs

	Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist