Re: SOAP actor model

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:43:35PM -0000, Williams, Stuart wrote:

> So in principle I think I could answer your question in the negative,
> however, I find that the lack of guidance on how to select a next
> destination along a path leaves me feeling that not enough has been
> specified in SOAP (yet) make intermediaries and paths useful.

In the most common case (RPC over HTTP), routing is often controlled
outside the message (client configuration for proxies, other
mechanisms for surrogates), and often isn't on behalf of the client,
but instead on behalf of the access provider and content provider,
respectively. The same holds for SMTP relays.

It will be good and necessary to define a routing module which allows
the message to say where it goes, but I think intermediaries are
functional and useful without it.

Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA USA)