From: Eric Prud'hommeaux [mailto:eric@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 11:12 PM
To: Sami Khoury
Cc: 'bhunt@adobe.com'
Subject: Re: XML and encoding (was Re: summary table of WWW9 agenda
propos als)

I'd like to discuss this on xml-dist-app. Feel free to quote anything
I said on the list. I didn't send this reply to the list as I don't
want to publicize a conversation without mutual consent.

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 11:21:20AM -0700, Sami Khoury wrote:
> hi Eric-
>
> I noticed that the protocol matrix has not been changed to indicate the
> deployed status of ICE.  I have attached the message the my colleague on
the
> ICE Authoring Group, Bruce Hunt, sent to you to clear up many of the
> particulars of ICE in your table.
>
> Questions/comments appreciated.

> From: "V. Bruce Hunt" <bhunt@adobe.com>
> To: eric@w3.org, ice-ag@egroups.com
> Subject: [ice-ag] ICE - Protocol Update.
> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:31:10 -0700
>
> I would like to give you an update on ICE for your table.
>
> ICE has been implemented by at least 4 vendors and it is deployed in
> multiple sites.  An open source reference version of ICE is
> under development by the ICE-AG with sponsorship from Adobe.

updated

If you give me a URL, I'll link it from the "deployed" work in the ICE
row.

> Under your facets, ICE has the following facets:
>
> serialization - core capability.
>
> extensibility - ICE 1.0 has DTD extensibility defined.  ICE 1.1 defines
>                 extension negotiation.
>
> skinnyness - ICE 1.0 and later permits a trivial implementation of a
>              subscriber, syndicator and parameter negotiation.
>
> protocol - core capability
>
> interface discovery - core capability.  ICE uses parameter negotiation
>              enhance this process.
>
> transactions (ACIDity).  ICE carefully defines requests and responses so
> that
>              recovery and a known state is always possible on both
> sides;
>              regardless of error condition or response.  Further, ICE
>              provides collection management that recovers the state of
>              a collection for any subscriber and brings the collection
>              up to the current state.
>
> remote procedure.  ICE 1.1 provides agent defined parameters on a per
> subscription
>               basis or on a per relationship basis; including the
> ability for
>              one party to direct the invocation of an identified
> procedure
>              by the other.
>
> business process.  ICE 1.1 supports almost any variant on content
> delivery work flow;
>              It provides negotiated delivery policies.  ICE supports
> content
>              delivery on both a replacement basis or a cumulative basis
> or
>              any variation in between.  ICE supports content use
> requirements
>              and permits those and any other parameters to be
> negotiated.
>              ICE supports direct delivery; encrypted delivery; and
> referenced,
>              access and time policy controlled delivery.  This means
> that ICE
>              can manage the delivery of real-time high-bandwidth media
> and
>              control access to it.
>
> security.  ICE 1.1 permits packaged content to be in any form, including
> encryption.
>            ICE provides multiple types of access control for referenced
> media and
>            it is designed to be run under SSL.
>
> routing.     ICE 1.0 and later provide support for payload redirect on
> both a
>              permanent and temporary basis.

One problem with discussing ICE in this context is that, as far as I
understood from a couple hours on the spec, it's not a protocol for
serializing arbitrary data structures and performing an arbitrary
function on them.

> ICE is designed to be operated over any of a number of reliable
> transport protocols.  It works
> well with HTTP and POP3.

I'd like to play with features like this in LOTP. Any lessons learned
would be greatly appreciated.

> One of the interesting new features of ICE 1.1 is arbitrary parameter
> negotiation.  This
> facility permits a Syndicator and Subscriber to manage a set of
> operational parameters and
> automatically negotiate optimal values between the parties.  This allows
> ICE implementations
> to automatically alter the delivery of content around busy times for a
> server.  The
> negotiation mechansism applies to any agreed upon set of parameters
> between a syndicator
> and subscriber.  The negotiation mechanism has been extended to
> negotiate ICE extensions
> both at the subscription level and at the protocol level.

Again, any lessons we can learn from you...

--
-eric

(eric@w3.org)