From: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
To: "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov>
Cc: "John A. Kunze" <jak@ucop.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: State of play wrt RFC 2056

Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress writes:

> Hi Henry - These URLs were never widely used but there were always a few
> implementations that claimed to use them. The Z39.50 community is still
> quite active, and I will poll everyone to get a better idea of the current
> state.
>
> Before I do, I want to be able to say what is the purpose of asking them?
If
> it turns out that nobody is using them then is the idea to obsolete them?

No, not at all -- we have no power or authority to do so, nor any
particular inclination.

As you know, I'm one of the editors of a long-running TAG effort to
get clear about what the tradeoffs are between http: and (choose one:
new URN namespace; new URI scheme) for persistent identifiers, and as
part of that I'm doing a quick survey of the fate of some earlier
proposals in this space.  When reading the RFC and using Google don't
turn up any definitive evidence, I've been sending emails like this
one to the named contacts from the RFC.

Thanks,

ht