RE: Z39.50 vs. LDAP...

The essential difference is that

In Z39.50 the query syntax is separate and independent from the results
format, and having performed a given query you could ask for different
multiple record syntaxes from the resultant set of results.

In LDAP the LDAP schema defines both query points and results format.

It is plausible to build LDAP/Z3950 gateways (I did once....) if you are
so inclined

Matthew