Re: requesting XML records

Hi Andy!

Andy wrote:
>A namespace is simply a way of grouping (i.e. managing) a collection of
>names.  LoC may have chosen to put all MARC21 names into a single
>namespace but there is absolutley no requirement on them to have done this
>(they could have chosen to give each element its own name) and in lots of
>situations it is much easier to manage your names over time if you use
>multiple namespaces - because you can then manage smaller groupings of
>names.
>
>DC, ODRL, CreativeCommons are all examples of metadata applications that
>have chosen to use multiple namespaces - I'm sure there are lots of
>others.

all I'm asking for is :-

<metadata
  xmlns="http://example.org/myapp/"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://example.org/myapp/
http://example.org/myapp/schema.xsd"
  xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">*

where the URIs for the schema information are cacheable. That is I don't
have to go to example.org to get the schema. I can hold a copy of the schema
locally.

It would of course be wonderful if ALL of the above referencing information
was ALWAYS and MANDATORILY returned, but I would be perfectly happy with the
absolute minimum of the default namespace. I have learnt not to ask for the
moon.

regards

Jonathan

* "Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core in XML" from
http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/12/02/dc-xml-guidelines/