RE: NORZIG proposed new bib-1 Use attributes

I have no problem with the proposed Use attributes.  But, I don't like the
content rules associated with many of them.  They call for the fields/access
points to be specific codes.  I believe that such rules should be imposed
through local profiles.  An example is the Nationality Use attribute.  If it
may only have two letter codes, then I'll need an Uncoded-Nationality Use
attribute.  Or, we'll all just ignore the semantics, just like we do today
with Code--Language (Use attribute 54) which is the only Use attribute
available to me to pass language queries.  I'd prefer not to continue that
practice.

Ralph

Ralph LeVan
Sr. Research Scientist
OCLC, Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
(614) 764-6115
http://www.oclc.org/research/staff/levan