Re: Model question

> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:29:57 -0400
> From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
>
> Result sets are NOT databases.  The model claims that they are
> reasonably static.  Databases are not static.

I'm not in a position to comment on history.  However, I can't let
this discussion go past without observing that, in this day and age,
there's no reason to perpetuate this historical distinction between
databases and result sets -- or, for that matter, between
databases/result sets and records.  They're all just lumps of data,
structured together in various ways.

(This is why I continue to insist that eSpec-q is a horrible mistake.
It solves one tiny special case of a general problem that would be
much better solved by using a new "now treat the records in this
result set as a new database whose records are at _this_ level of
granularity" service, and then applying the existing searching
mechanism to that new database.  It's all just Stuff.)

)_v__/\  Overweaning, participle vb. -- force-feeding a baby with
	 pieces of steak.