Re: Limiting a search by URL

Vinod Chachra wrote:

> I believe has Dana's description exactly matches the VTLS Z39.50
> implementation for searching URLs.

How can that be?  You're using use attribute 5856? That's a private OCLC
attribute.

Aside from the use attribute, I think a key part of Chris's question is the
attribute *combination*. I had suggested to her that structure of String
combined with incomplete subfield might be inconsistent (the latter is
word-based), and that phrase might be better than string.

> think that standardizing on a use attribute (should it be 1032 as suggested
> by Chris or 5856 as used by OCLC or something else?) for URL searches would
> help.

We could either (1) propose a new value, based on OCLCs 5856 (what are its
semantics?), or (2) craft an implementor agreement based on 1032. I know 1032
doesn't have the best semantics, but it does seem that there are profiles
invested in it.

--Ray