Re: Proposal: Registration of object identifiers for MARC format types

Mike Taylor wrote:

> I take your point.  Then maybe instead we should use
>
>         1.2.840.10003.5.x.1000.y.z
>
> Where x is the base record-syntax (DANMARC, XML, whatever), y is the
> Z39.50 Implementor Id (from the register, e.g. 81=Index Data) and z is
> for the implementor to choose.

Then we'd have to require that someone be a registered implementor in order
to register marc format types.  I don't know if we want to require that.  I
suppose you could make a case for that since we limit private oid
registration to registered implementors.  But I think these are different.
These are not private formats, they just don't fit the rigid pattern that we
established and can't be slotted easily into the oid structure.
--Ray