Re: CCL proposal (quotes)

Alan Kent wrote:

> To me this means the documentation for the Z39.58 regexp attribute
> already in Bib-1 is incomplete - the textual description of the pattern
> has ommitted the Z39.58 documented support for quotes for releasing.

Yes, but that was the intent when we defined it, to specify a subset of Z39.58
which included the features that people thought they wanted, keeping in mind that
there already was a regExp-1 and 2.

Regexp-1 is IEEE 1003.2  (and regexp-2 is server defined regular expression).
Type-104 came about because although everyone acknowledged that regexp-1 included
all the functionality they wanted, people wanted a truncation type  for a
lightweight regular expression, rather than claiming support for IEEE 1003.2 when
they really only supported a small subset. We decided to call the attribute
Z39.58 and define only a subset of it.  (Well, it was a long discussion, and it
made sense at the time, as I recall.)

I suggest that we leave 104 alone, and define a type 105, which is a compatible
subset of IEEE1003.2 but doesn't reference it. It's the reference to Z39.58
that's causing the problem. Call the new one regExp-3.

--Ray