RE: character encoding assumptions and approaches

I agree.

> 2. The new option bit should apply, and necessarily will
> apply, not only to
> search term, but to all fields defined as
> InternationalString

I disagree.  The option bit will apply to whatever we say it applies to.  If
we say it applies to all InternationalStrings, then it will.  But, if we
choose to say that it only applies to Term in Search and Scan, then that's
all it will apply to.

Ralph