From: Pieter Van Lierop [mailto:pvanlierop@geac.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 4:33 AM
To: 'Ray Denenberg'; zig
Subject: RE: character encoding assumptions and approaches

Sorry but I do not agree with your assumptions.

1. I still think that the Z39.50 protocol should not bother with the
contents of anything that is not defined in the Z39.50 protocol. For example
a MARC record. From the point of view of a MARC record, Z39.50 is only a
transport mechanism. The MARC syntaxes have their own committees, standards,
protocols, traditions, national standards, international standards: we
should not bother with that.
However, the solution you propose (an option bit and a Diagnostic from the
server) is a very simple solution and is easy to ignore (that is good
because of compatibility with the current implementations).

2. The character set agreement that we are discussing does not only imply to
the search term, but to all fields defined as "International String". Is
this correct or not?
This means that, amongst others, the following fields are to be considered:
ImplementationId, ImplementationName, ResultSetName/ResultSetId,
DatabaseName, AdditionalInfo (in a diagnostic), ElementSetName, DisplayTerm
(in Scan)
Actually, the Term (in Search and Scan) is generally considered to be an
OCTET STRING. I believe that most client applications send it as an OCTET
STRING.
Does that mean that when the client application sends Term as an OCTET
STRING, the character set agreement does *not* apply?

3. I think that the best solution would be in the Bath profile, because they
need it and they will probably be the only ones who are going to implement
it.
Then, I would suggest to use a field somewhere in the InitRequest indicating
the name or OID of the Character Set protocol. When the server can not
handle this, it returns a diagnostic and closes the connection.
But as I said, I can live Ray's solution.

Pieter van Lierop