RE: character sets: Term as OCTET STRING

Ray, I understand your point very well. This is typically a difference
between theory and practice. Of course you are right. But look it from my
point of view:

We have a Z39.50 client application. When this application leaves our
offices, we have no idea what is going to happen with it. We have to make
sure that it can talk to as many servers as possible from all kinds of
flavors.

When I send Term as InternationalString, even if only after successful
Character Set Negotiation, I have a limited chance of success.
When I send Term as OCTET STRING, it will always be successful: I have never
seen a server that does not accept OCTET STRING.

OCLC is a rather important organization in our business. When a Geac client
cannot talk to an OCLC server because the Geac client sends
InternationalString and OCLC does not accept that (I think that Ralph said
that today), then the customer is not happy - and will probably put the
blame on us.

Pieter