Re: BIBOS:IV goes ZNG?

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:00:55 +0100
> From: "Michael Manoch" <Michael.Manoch@t-systems.at>
>
> My name is Michael Manoch and I am working on a library system
> called BIBOS:IV.  BIBOS:IV is a system to support most (all?) of the
> needs for libraries and should also work for museums, archives, ...
>
> Since only search/retrieval is on interest for Z39.50 applications,
> here are some project specifications:
> [...]
>    Communication between client and server via CORBA (Orbix2000).
> [...]
> We are interested in implementing a Z39.50 client and server.

Hello Michael,

Do you mean that you are interested in replacing the CORBA
communication between your server and client with Z39.50
communication?  If not, I'm not sure I understand how you see Z39.50
fitting into your architecture.

> On visiting http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zng.html I have seen a
> lot of anologies in ZNG and our search/retrieval service.

You should probably think twice before comitting to ZNG.  Although it
has a lot of weight behind it (i.e. some of the most respected Z39.50
people), it is still a very new are somewhat experimental initiative.
Others may know better, but I'm not aware of any "real" ZNG servers or
clients yet -- just testing/evaluation systems.  That _is_ likely to
change; but not today or tomorrow.

> So I would need (detailed) info about writing ZNG client/server.
> Will ZNG become a (the?) Z39.50 standard?

Too early to say.  For what it's worth, it's still up for debate
whether or not that would be A Good Thing.  I know I'm in a minority
in sticking up for good old Z39.50 Classic, but there's a lot to be
said for it.  If you're interested in the old-school stance, take a
look at my informal paper _The Empire Strikes Back_ at
	http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/tech/esb.html

> What ZNG clients/servers are now available and what are their specifics?
> Are there any ZNG clients/servers to be available soon?

I leave this for ZNG participants to answer.

In the mean time, I draw your attention to the fine set of freely
available tools for building Z39.50 Classic clients and servers,
including but by no means limited to Index Data's Yaz Toolkit, OCLC's
low-level utilities, Crossnet's zedkit, the various ZOOM
implementations (C, C++, Java, Tcl), Knowledge Integration's JZkit and
(ahem) my own Net::Z3950 Perl module.

)_v__/\  "Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow is uncertain.  Have fun TODAY"
	 -- Sheri McGregor.