RE: ZING : Implementing SRW

Searching by reference would be an interesting option to allow
binary search input for SRU also. I think it fits in CQL. Eg. a search
for (creator:"van veen" and image:"http://abc.def/xyz.jpg") would
return metadata records concerning  the images best matching
http://abc.def/xyz.jpg with creator "van veen".

This would give SRU the power of SRW without the extra
complexity of SOAP. I remember from previous discussions on
SRW that the the only argument for using SOAP was the ability to
use binary input. Are there other arguments?

 I wrote a few lines of XSL with javascript to write SRU-portals for
distributed searching and presenting the results of the distributed
search and a would like to know the extras that I get when I put
investments in using SOAP (except for the binary queries of
course). From what I have seen on the ZNG list a lot of
implementors lean heavily on what their SOAP toolkit can or can
not do.

Maybe a stupid question: can current  web-browsers act as SOAP
clients or do you need special clients for SOAP?

Theo