Re: Proposed change to Bib-2 and Utility Attribute Sets

> Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:54:17 -0400
> From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
>
> I propose, as a result of discussions at the April ZIG meeting, that
> attributes that were created for the Bib-2 Attribute Set should be
> combined and moved to the Utility Attribute Set.
>
> Specifically, Bib-2 defines a Format/Structure attribute of
> SetOfWords and Expansion/Interpretation attributes of AdjacentWords,
> AllTheseWords and AnyOfTheseWords.  I propose that they be removed
> from Bib-2 and replaced with Format/Structure attributes in the
> Utility Attribute Set of AdjacentWords, AllTheseWords and
> AnyOfTheseWords.
>
> The original intent was to duplicate the Bib-1 Structure attribute
> of WordList and specify the kind of WordList through
> Expansion/Interpretation values.  I claim that there is no need to
> separate these two attributes and that they should be combined to
> create three Format/Structure attributes.

I agree that these are general enough to belong in the utility set
rather than the BIB-2 set.

However, I do not understand why you wish to blur the distinction
between the structure (set of words) and its interpretation (any, all,
adjacent).  That seems like bad Computer Science to me.

)_v__/\  "Derry and Toms: You are a large green reptile with a series
	 of soft yellow underbellies running down your spine ..." --
	 Monty Python.