Re: Public server with 'lastModifiedTime' searches supported?

Hi Alan

For just the purpose you have in mind, GILS-complaint servers are
required to support such a search on Use attribute 1012, see
<http://www.gils.net/prof_v2.html#sec_7_4> Per requirements in
Annex A <http://www.gils.net/prof_v2.html#annex_a>, this access
point must support a "Date" structure and both the "Greater Than"
and "Equal" relation attributes. In Bib-1 (1.2.840.10003.3.1) and
GILS (1.2.840.10003.3.5), the attributes are: type 1=1012
(Use=date-last-modified), type 2=3 (Relation=equal), type 2=5
(Relation=greater-than), and type 4=5 (Structure=date-normalized).

The Geo Profile includes search on a date range, but focused on
"time-period-of-content". (For example, try the "Time Period"
tab at <http://geogateway.state.mn.us/documents/index.html> )

Eliot

At 05:13 PM 4/11/2002 +1000, Alan Kent wrote:
>This might be the wrong place to ask this, but I was wondering if
>there were any public databases that had implemented all of the
>following characteristics (I tried looking at the IndexData web
>site, but all the potential databases failed for one reason or other,
>and there are so many to sift through!). I could build my own
>test database, but I would rather use a "real" database.
>
>* Support =, >, < etc queries on Bib-1 lastModifiedTime
>* Does not mind me doing queries and fetching lots of records
>   (I don't want too many, but could be hundreds or thousands).
>* Supports scan on Bib-1 last modified time desirable (so can check
>   values in index and so I can do sensible queries on database)
>
>Basically I was wondering if it was possible to efficiently "harvest"
>a Z39.50 database. The best I can think of is using last-modified-time.
>Downloading the full database each time seems far to inefficient,
>so I would want to find out what has changed since the last visit.
>
>Any conventions people use for the format of last modified would
>also be of interest.
>
>Thanks!
>Alan
>--
>Alan Kent (mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au, http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/)
>Postal: Multimedia Database Systems, RMIT, GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001.
>Where: RMIT MDS, Bld 91, Level 3, 110 Victoria St, Carlton 3053, VIC
>Australia.
>Phone: +61 3 9925 4114  Reception: +61 3 9925 4099  Fax: +61 3 9925 4098

Eliot Christian echristi@usgs.gov  1-703-648-7245 FAX 1-703-648-7112
US Geological Survey, 802 National Center, Reston VA 20192