RE: ZNG dicussion

Well Yes and No.

Yes because as Sebastian says, language is not only a linguistic or a
computer problem, but also a cultural problem. One of the reasons for the
popularity of Z39.50 in Europe is certainly that Z39.50 has no language.
Apart from an additional diagnostic text here and there, the Z39.50 messages
are completely language-free. Isn't that great?

No, because "Title" is more comprehensible than 4, even for French or Dutch
people. And if you want to do something "quick & dirty" it is easier to be
able to read what is being sent.

Thinking this over -- is the mystifying complexity of Z39.50 not one of it's
attractions?

Pieter