Re: Building a Z39.50 client and server

Stevio,

Just answering for us, we have a few tools that can be used to build
WWW-based origins - specifically we have an extension to the PHP language
for the programming types (works under several webservers, including MS
IIS), and a complete, configurable plugin to Apache for the non-programming
types. You can also write WWW-based origins using our Z39.50 extension to
Tcl (although I wouldn't recommend that today). You could also use Mike
Taylor's Perl API (or presumably any of the others) in CGI scripts or under
mod_perl, or you could use the Java toolkit from Knowledge Integration to
develop servlets.

There's links to these from our homepage.

These are just the freely licensed tools that I know off the top of my head
-- there's several others around.. the Z39.50 Maintenance Agency keeps some
links you could look at.

There's not so many good tools around yet for the Visual Basic crowd, and I
don't know why that is.. we're working on one, but we don't have a release
date yet (actually, I do know why -- it's pretty hard to do well).

--Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hammer        <quinn@indexdata.dk>            Index Data ApS
Ph.: +45 3341 0100    <http://www.indexdata.dk>    Fax: +45 3341 0101