Re: ZNG: "Z39.50 Next Generation"

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:20:11PM -0400, Ray Denenberg wrote:
> The group has developed
> specifications for a new web service called ZNG, "Z39.50 Next Generation".
> (Earlier, it had been known as ZML: "Z39.50 over XML".)

This is *wonderful* news to me (and wonderful timing - I was asked to
look into implementing a web service for our Z39.50 server 2 days ago).
I have looked through the page you gave and it all seems to make sense.
Is there anything more concrete yet? Any proposed WSDL files for
example? One of my 10 urgent jobs to do (:-) is to build a prototype.

For CQL, I would be happy to put up the exact CCL-based grammar that
we currently support for example and show the tweaks we have done to
bind it closely as possible to Z39.50 as a discussion point. I am glad
CCL has not been taken verbatim - the version of the standard I have
was rather vague in spots (not even a BNF grammar!)

Anyway, I would certainly be interested in having a go at implementing
a prototype web service based on whatever exists. I cannot guarantee
resourcing at present (so my contribution may be bursty), but I think
this is a *big* step forward for Z39.50.

Alan