RE: Proposal: make init optional

I'll speak up for Bob's proposal, for exactly the reason he gives in his
message.

At the last ZIG meeting, I believe we made significant progress in agreeing
that we need to separate the Z39.50 semantics from the current BER based
syntax.  That means that we are free to consider Z39.50 messages encoded in
other syntaxes.  When I start crafting some HTTP based, semantically
equivalent, searches, I'm not going to want to embed them inside an Init
request.

So, if we hope to use the experience and semantics of the Z39.50 community,
we better be prepared for some changes.  I strongly encourage dropping Init
as a mandatory operation.

If the existing implementations think that it should be kept, then it can be
added to the profile for Z39.50 over raw TCP/IP.

The whole state table issue needs to be seriously reconsidered, in light of
the new environments that Z39.50 will be moving into.

Ralph