Re: Syntax, semantics, and the mortality of Init

At 19:19 30-01-01 -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:

>Could someone point me at a few key resources that distinguish the core
>semantics of Z39.50 query from the nitty gritty of the protocol details.

Wouldn't this be the Z39.50 standard document (downloadable from the maint.
agency), primarily sections 3.2.2 (skipping over nitty gritties like
piggybacking), 3.2.3 (because you gotta get the records back), maybe 3.6
(composition spec). and 3.7 for details on the most popular query language.

When designing our own IR engine, we made extensive use of appendix 14,
which goes into much more detail about the retrieval model - much of which
is not used by mainstream library apps, however.

Most of this is a  fairly protocol-independent description of an asbtract
service which could really be mapped onto any old protocol (assuming
interoperability was not an issue).

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer        <quinn@indexdata.dk>            Index Data ApS