Re: Explain-lite (Explain discussion)

At 13:20 17-11-00 +0100, Jacob Hallén wrote:

>I am one of the originators of this idea. My view from the start has been
>that our current implementation is an experiment. The original design of
>Explain turned out to be less than useful. This was probably because there
>was not enough trial-and-error. By trying something that is useful to the
>ONE-2 project, we hope to build the foundation for something that is
>useful to a large part of the Z39.50 community.

I have no problem with this pattern of thinking. But there is a real danger
that an experiment like this gets promoted to de facto standard for the
lack of a better/easier solution, and that, I think, would be a setback.
That's my *only* concern, and it's what's kept us from throwing simple
Explain packages around on the init between our own applications even when
that was obviously the path of least resistance

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer        <quinn@indexdata.dk>            Index Data ApS
Ph.: +45 3341 0100    <http://www.indexdata.dk>    Fax: +45 3341 0101